When it comes to climate change, there are no boundaries. From the northern hemisphere to the south, and spanning east to west, climate change affects us all as global citizens. That’s why our team is committed to helping both industrialised and developing nations collaborate in ways including technology transfer, sustainable investment, and clean development for successful project delivery.
Our experienced team can help individuals and organisations purchase carbon credits originating from developing countries. This supports the fledgling nation’s economic and social development – improving livelihoods and environmental sustainability – while also providing an alternative and cost-effective way to participate and comply under an Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS), like the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) under the Kyoto Protocol.
The CDM enables industrialised countries to invest in clean development projects taking place in developing countries by purchasing Certified Emission Reduction Units (CERs). It’s a form of carbon credit that can be used to meet obligations under Emission Trading Schemes including those operating in Europe and Australia from 2015.
At CO2 Group, we originate CERs and other carbon credits by using end-to-end technical and financial management, project assessment, UN registration and trading processes required under the CDM. This includes:
- Project origination in host countries (non-Annex 1 ‘developing’ countries under the Kyoto Protocol)
- Eligibility assessment
- Project registration:
- Preparing Project Design Documents
- Host country approval requirements
- Validation including engaging and managing a Designated Operational Entity (DOE)
- Responding to comments raised by the CDM Executive Board during the registration process
- Project monitoring and verification including engaging and managing a DOE
- Purchasing tradeable carbon units for onward acquisition by compliance entities under an ETS
- Counter-party and risk management to provide both project developers and compliance entities with full assurance regarding the CER creation and eligibility
Credit buyers and compliance entities can also benefit from our related services that include:
- Carbon markets analysis
- Structuring and contracting carbon-based transactions
- Negotiating and preparing Emission Reduction Purchase Agreements
- Managing carbon credit issuance and transfer including establishing registry accounts